Information on Rath Yatra
Rath Yatra has a Sanskrit meaning. Rath means Chariot and Yatra Means Journey. Jagannath Rath Yatra is one of the most popular and important chariot festivals among the Hindus across the world.
On rath yatra, Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Balabhadra and his beloved sister Subhadra visit his aunt’s place every year. On three majestic chariots with a lot of pomp and show which starts from the Jagannath Temple Puri. A lot of people join this yatra at Jagannath Puri.
It is famously known as ‘Jagannath Rath Yatra”. Which is followed by millions of Devotees all over the world. Temple is known as the Shreekhetra Dham of India and the prime of all Jagannath temples in India. This Festival is celebrated on the ‘Dwitiya’ (2nd day) during the ‘Ashadha Shukla Paksha’ (the waxing phases of the moon in the Ashadha month of the Hindu calendar).
Jagannath rath yatra 2020 starts on Tuesday, 23 June.
History of Rath Yatra
The observance of the Rath Yatra of Jagannath dates back to the twelfth century. The details of the festival can be found in key Hindu books such as Brahma Purana, Padma Purana, and Skanda Purana.
Lord Jagannath’s idol is made of wood because it is believed that lord Vishnu’s avatar Lord Narasimha had appeared from the wooden pillar.
In the past, it was not unknown for people to throw themselves under the wheels of the chariots to attain salvation.
Rath Yatra 2020
Rath Yatra day is decided based on the Hindu Lunar calendar and it is fixed on Dwitiya Tithi during Shukla Paksha of Ashada month. Currently, it falls in the months of June or July in the Gregorian calendar. Jagannath Rath Yatra in 2020 falls on Tuesday, 23 June 2020.
Initial Rituals of rath yatra start from Akshaya Tritiya; the main chariot festival starts from Sri gundicha yatra and ends on Bahuda Yatra(Wednesday, 01 July 2020). The last ritual of this auspicious yatra is Niladri bije(Saturday, 4 July 2020).
Jagannath Rath Yatra 2020 Rituals Date
- Chandan Yatra (Sunday, 26 April 2020) is on Akshaya Tritiya
- Rajendrabhisekha (Monday, 01 June 2020) – Grand abhiseka of the Lord of the Universe.
- Rukmaniharan Ekadashi (Tuesday, 02 June 2020) – Jagannath rath yatra was the day when Lord Krishna kidnapped the beautiful Rukmani.
- Champaka Dwadashi (Wednesday, 03 June 2020) – Special puja and Bhog are offered to Lord Jagannath on this day in the premises of Jagannath Temple.
- Daitapai Prabesha & Charabandha (Thursday, 04 June 2020)
- Chaturdashi Senapata Lagi (Thursday, 04 June 2020)
- Snana Yatra(Friday, 05 June 2020) – It is also known as Snana Purnima or Debasnana Purnima
- Khalilagi Ekadashi (Wednesday, 17 June 2020)
- Rajaprasad Bije (Thursday, 18 June 2020)
- Ghanalagi (Friday, 19 June 2020)
- Metro utsav& Nabajaubana Darshan (Saturday, 20 June 2020) – After the holy Snana Purnima, Lord Jagannath is said to catch cold and fever for the duration of 15 days.
He is made to have homemade medicines and all the time takes rest in the Temple. No devotees are allowed to visit the Lord in the Jagannath temple during these 15 days.
After the completion of the 15 days when devotees are allowed to see Lord Jagannath in his favorite abode Jagannath temple Puri, it is known as Netro utsava.
- Hera Panchami (Saturday, 27 June 2020) – It is celebrated at Gundicha temple on the fifth day from the start date of the Car festival.
- Sandhya Darshan (Monday, 29 June 2020)
- Bahuda Yatra (Wednesday, 01 July 2020) – The return of the Gods from their aunt’s place to the Puri Jagannath Temple is known as Bahuda Yatra. This happens after 9 days of Gundicha Yatra.
- Suna Besha (Thursday, 02 July 2020) – After they return, the chariots are kept in front of the Puri – Jagannath temple Puri while preparations are made for a royal look of the Gods. “Suna Besa” is the form Lord Jagannath takes up along with his brother and sister.
- Niladri bike (Saturday, 04 July 2020) – Among all the rituals of Jagannath Rath Yatra of Puri, the most interesting one seems to be Niladri Bije.
This is some of the information related to Rath Yatra.
But due to Corona Virus still the preparation of the Rath Yatra, further updates will be updated in the blog as per the news by the temple committee.
For more updates and information about the temple of India visit our latest blog on Yatradham.Org/ Blogs.