Tilinga Mandir is located in Bordubi, near Duliajan oil town and 7 km away from Tinsukia District in Assam. Tilinga means “bell” and Mandir means “temple” in Assamese. It is believed that your wish will be granted by Lord Shiva if you pray and decide to donate a bell at the temple when your wish is fulfilled.
The main attraction of this temple is the “Banyan tree” near which the “shiv-linga” was found and people conduct pooja’s under this tree. Now people also present pigeons and tridents(Trishul).
History of Tilinga Mandir
The temple is said to be half a century old. In 1965 the tea garden workers saw a shiv-linga emerging from the ground and the administrators decided to build a temple over there.
When people came to know about the temple, visitors kept coming and their wishes were granted and they kept tying bells of different sizes and types on the big banyan tree.
Due to a large number of bells, the tree started dying the management decided to build iron bars to tie bells.
Tilinga Mandir is surrounded by beautiful forests and tea gardens.
According to Hindu mythology, Monday is considered “Lord Shiva’s” day and on this day huge numbers of people visit this temple.
Best Time to Visit Tilinga Mandir
The best time to visit Tilinga Mandir is in the months of February to May and in the months of October and November.
It is open all days from 6 am – 8 pm (timings may vary on special days and festivals)
- Shiv Aarti: 6 am – 9 pm
- Special Pooja: On Monday and Shivratri
- Nishita Kaal Pooja : 12:26 am to 1:16 am
- Maha Shivaratri Parana : 7:04 am to 3:45 pm
- Ratri First Prahar Pooja : 6:38 pm to 9:45pm
- Ratri Second Prahar Pooja: 9:45 pm to 12:51 am
- Ratri Third Prahar Pooja: 12:51 am to 3:57 am
- Ratri Fourth Prahar Pooja: 3:57 am to 7:04 am
How to Reach Tilinga Mandir
Here are some of the nearby routes to reach Tiling Mandir.
- From Tinsukia Bus Stand – 35 km
- From Tinsukia Railway Station – 16 km
- From Mohanbari Airport – 40 km
Places to visit from Tilinga Mandir
From Tilinga Mandir you can also visit various other places nearby the temple. They are as follows:
- Local Shops nearby and bushy tea gardens near Tilinga Mandir
- Rukmini Island – 17 km
- Om House Boat – 29 km
- Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary – 61 km
- Aiy Than – 6 km
- Nepali Durga Mandir – 8.3 km
- Sri Sarvajanika Hanuman Mandir – 400 meter