Amritsar Golden Temple Timings and Langar Timings
Golden Temple located in Amritsar is also known as Darbar Sahib or Sri Harmandir Sahib. Sri Harimandir Sahib is not only a central religious place of the Sikhs but also a symbol of human brotherhood and equality.
Everybody, irrespective of caste, creed or race can seek spiritual solace and religious fulfilment without any hindrance.
More than one lakh devotees visit every day. So, The World Book of Records has declared that Golden Temple is the most visited place in the World. No trip to Amritsar is complete without a visit to the Golden Temple.
In the Golden Temple the “Darbar Hall” is washed with milk daily. Water and milk are mixed and used. While entering to temple premises everyone has to cover their head, without covering their heads you cannot enter inside.
So, you are thinking to plan a visit to Golden Temple and want to know the temple timings and other information regarding Golden Temple. Then continue reading the blog regarding the information.
Timings of Golden Temple, Amritsar
Timings: 2:30 AM to 10:00 PM (all days of the week.)
The Kiwad (door/portals) opens at 2:30 am.
The First Hukamnama is given at 5:00 a.m.
The temple closes with the departure of Palki Sahib from Sri Harimandir Sahib.
Golden Temple Langar Timings
Guru ka Langar (Langar Hall) is open to all people. Langar meal is served at ALL HOURS.
- Meals in the langar are vegetarian and are simple, nourishing and nutritious.
- The kitchen has a capacity of 5000 people.
- There are two kitchens in which the food is prepared.
- On normal days, all the dishes are handmade by the sewadars.
- Hygiene is of utmost importance, both before and after meals. Dirty plates are handed over to another set of volunteers. Each plate is washed 5 times before being used again.
- The kitchen receives a lot of donations too, either in cash or kind.
- They also say to take food according to their needs. Don’t waste the food and you have to complete the food.
When to Visit Golden Temple?
The best time to visit is during Sikhism festivals like Vaisakhi (the second week of April).
Other top festival days are the birthday of Guru Ram Das, the Martyrdom day of Guru Teg Bahadur and others.
On Diwali, it is decorated with colourful lights and fireworks would burst in the evening, that view is unexplainable.
Rituals at Golden Temple
This is the opening ritual, which takes place at the dawn. The scripture is taken back from the bedroom, placed on the head and carried back to the Gurdwara. After many rituals, a random page from the book is opened and read aloud. This page is written down and handed over to visitors to read it.
This is the closing ritual of the Gurdwara. Many mantras are recited as the doors to the Gurdwara are closed. The scripture is placed on a palanquin, which is decorated with flowers. The scripture is taken to the bedroom in Akal Takht where it is tucked into bed.
How to Reach Golden Temple, Amritsar
- By Air:
Raja Sansi International Airport, or Sri Guru Ram Das International Airport, is located at a distance of 13 km. and is the nearest airport. It takes around 18-20 minutes to reach from the airport.
- By Rail:
The nearest railway station is Amritsar Junction, 2 km.
- By Road:
Amritsar is also well-accessible via roadways. Grand Trunk Karnal Road connects Amritsar to Delhi. Pathankot is at a distance of only 2 and ½ hours drive from the city. Regular bus service is also available from Delhi I.S.B.T, Katra, Jammu, Chandigarh and Dharamshala.
Accommodations available near Temple
You can Online book the Guesthouse, Dharamshala, Rooms, and Yatri Niwas in Amritsar very easily from the yatradham.org website.
They provide the best accommodation in Amritsar at an affordable and with all Facilities. For Booking the Rooms in Amritsar just in the name of the Dharamshala.
- Amritsar Harmandir Sahib Niwas
- Shri Durgiana Yatri Niwas-Amritsar
- Mata nanaki sangat niwas sarai
- Amritsar Guru Kirpa Guest House
- A Star Home Stay Amritsar
In addition, if you are searching for more options to stay, then here are the Best budget stay near Golden Temple.
Places to Visit Near Golden Temple, Amritsar
Some of the most popular places to visit nearby are
- Jallianwala Bagh – 800 Meters
- Wagah Border – 31 km
- Durgiana Temple – 1 km
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh Panoramio – 4.1 km
- Khalsa College – 4.7 km
- Harike Wetland and Bird Sanctuary – 90 km
- Guru Nanak Dev University – 8 km
- Summer Place of Maharaja Ranjit Singh – 5 km
Facilities in Golden Temple Amritsar
- Free shoe-keeping zone outside the premises.
- Tourist information office.
- Free bus facility for the airport, railway station, and bus stand.
- Toilets and bathrooms.
- Free dispensaries.
- ATM, railway booking, and postal facilities
- Offerings in cash and kind are accepted in the Golden Temple.
- Please get a receipt on offering donations for langar (community kitchen), building.
- It is strictly prohibited to serve or eat any eatables in the Parikrama or to loiter about with uncovered head.
Festivals celebrated at Golden Temple
- Guru Nanak Gurupurab
- Maghi and Mela Maghi
- Sikh New Year
- Bandi Chhor Divas
- Martyrdom of the Sahibzade