Bakkhali beach, West Bengal
Bakkhali Beach is an idyllic getaway in the Kakdwip area. It is fast developing into a major tourist attraction. This eight km long beach, set in serene and peaceful environments in the delta islands promises a memorable holiday. Bakkhali beach is known for its Red Crabs. This area consists of scattered delta islands mostly joined by bridges, but some are accessed by ferries. The entire area has many places besides the beach that are worth seeing and exploring.
Henry Island – is about 6 km from Bakkhali beach. This is an unspoiled natural forested area and beach. There is a watchtower on the beach that gives a beautiful view of the beach and the sea.
Jambudwip – is an enchanting island just off the coast from Bakkhali beach and can be reached by ferry. This island is uninhabited and remains submerged for part of the year.
Bishalakshmi Temple – This ancient and quaint temple is yet another reminder of the peacefulness and serenity of the area.
Frasergunj – This is named after Andrew Fraser, the Lieutenant-Governor of Bengal in British India. He discovered this place and built a house that is now in ruins. On the horizon, there are many windmills that produce electricity for local use.
Crocodile Park – This is one of the few crocodile breeding parks and reservations. It has a large collection of crocodiles in all stages of life.
Accommodation in Bakkhali
There are a number of hotels and guest houses in Frasergunj and Bakkhali to suit all budgets. From luxurious rooms to dormitories – all types of accommodation can be found here. Some of the places to stay are –
- WBTDC Bakkhali Tourist Lodge
- Benefit Tourist Lodge and Henry Island Tourist Lodge. These are run by the West Bengal Fisheries Department.
- Ananya Hotel
- Hotel Amarabati
Besides these, there are many more hotels and lodges available here. It is best to arrange accommodation directly before or after arrival and avoid brokers/touts in Kolkata.
How to reach Bakkhali Beach
- The nearest railway station is Namkhana. Local trains from Sealdah (Kolkata) to Namkhana via Kakdwip are available. It is best to take an early morning train from Sealdah.
- The nearest airport is Kolkata Airport, about 142 km from Bakkhali.
- Howrah Railway Station is about 129 km from Bakkhali.
- Sealdah Railway Station is about 137 km from Bakkhali.
- Electric rickshaws and ferry boats are available for getting around locally.
Places to Visit in Bakkhali
- Hamilton Island
- Sundarbans National Park
For more information about Check, Bakkhali Sea Beach
YatraDham.Org is the only portal where you find the best accommodation options that go well with your trip objectives. From Katra to Kanyakumari and Dwarka to Jagannath Puri, we have more than 1000 properties available for booking at YatraDham.Org