Dhanushkodi Beach is a beautiful scenic beach that thousands of tourists visit each day and is a center of attraction in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu. The Bay of Bengal and the Indian ocean merge at Dhanushkodi beach.
Dhanushkodi Beach History
In the year 1964 Dhanushkodi was hit by a cyclone and was almost destroyed by it. The Pamban Dhanushkodi passenger train which left the passengers at Pamban whole train was hit by high tidal waves and 115 passengers died in it. Overall around 1800 people died in Dhanushkodi and the place was later declared a “ghost town” by the government.
It is believed that the “Ram Setu” also known as Adam’s bridge was built by the Lord Hanuman’s monkey for Lord Rama to rescue Sita Mata who was kidnapped by Ravana.
Must-visit places in Dhanushkodi
- Ram Setu (Adam’s Bridge)
- The bridge was built by the monkey army for Lord Rama, the stone from which it is built floats on water. The bridge starts from Dhanushkodi bridge (end of India) and ends at Sri Lanka’s Mannar Island.
- The Pamban Island
- Pamban Island also known as Rameswaram Island is located between peninsular India and Srilanka.
- The Pamban Bridge
- The Pamban Bridge was India’s first sea bridge. It is a railway bridge that connects Mandapam town with Pamban Island. It was the only source of transport in Tamil Nadu’s island of Rameswaram to the mainland. The Pamban bridge is 41 feet above sea level and 2065 meters long.
- Merging of two Bodies
- You can easily see the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean merging at Dhanushkodi beach.
- Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park
- Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park is a group of 21 small beautiful islands with three distinct Coastal ecosystems namely coral reef, seagrass bed, and mangrove. The best time to visit the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park is October to March.
- Agni Teertham
- Agni Teertham is one of the best tirthas in Rameswaram and a large number of tourists visit there for a holy bath.
Accommodation Near Dhanushkodi Beach, Rameswaram
- Sri Ramanjaneya Chatram
- Agrasen Bhavan
- Mahaprabhuji Bethak
- Goswami madam Trust
- Maheshwari Bhakta Niwas Dharamshala
- Shri Krishna Pranami Mangal Mandir
- Karivena Brahmana Satram
- Sri Palani Andavar Yatri Niwas
- Gujarat Bhavan
- Bharat Sevashram Sangha
- Mahaprabhuji Bethak
- Shri Adichunchanagiri Math
- R S Rajpurohit hall accommodation
How To Reach Dhanushkodi Beach
Madurai is the nearest and can be reached in 3 hrs to Rameswaram – 160 km
Nearest Railway Stations
- Rameswaram – 16.55 km
- Pamban junction – 24.37 km
- Mandapam – 30.77 km
- Ramanathapuram – 66.84 km
Best time to visit
October to March as the temperatures drop and stay between 20 to 30 degrees C, making travel easier.